Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Asking for more

Scripture for the week:
4 When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven. Nehemiah 1:4 NLT

Tuesday reading:
Nehemiah 1

key verse (s): 1:4

observations & questions:

1:2 Nehemiah had some interest in the Jews of Jerusalem. God had already stirred and interest in his brothers and their return from captivity.

Important to note that God had already begun working on Nehemiahs heart.
God had deposited a compassion for his people and that they would be restored.

1:3 the report from the friends

1:4 Nehemiahs heart breaks. This news moved him.

1. What moves you ? What is God putting on your heart ?
2. What moves God in what moves you ? mourning, fasting, and prayer= keys to dealing with the burden.

1:5 Even though there is a burden, Nehemiah begins his prayer with Adoration. Adoration takes our minds of how big the problem is to How big our God is.

1:6 Keys to Gods heart, humility. Nehemiah does another important part of prayer with Confession for himself and for his people. He identifies with them so much that his prayer is not "deal with those people". It is God forgive us.

1:7 A different facet of Confession here. Confession of who God is. Nehemiah reminds God of what He has said and speaks it to God. Gods word is an important part of your prayer arsenal.

1:8.9 Nehemiah then goes into Supplication. He asks for favor with the King. He asks God for help on the behalf of others.

application or concept:
I am checking my own heart today. What are the things that are heavy on my heart to pray for. I will lament and pray over these things and not allow my mind and heart go to worry.

I intentionally humble myself today and ask for Gods help.

prayer:
God, Thank you that you are the great and awesome God who keeps your covenant of unfailing love with those who love you. God forgive me of my own sins. thanks for bringing me back to the place where you desire your name to be honored. Please grant me success today. Put it in the heart of men of authority to favor me and the vision I have for exalting your name.

Learning Agenda:

Revival Fire

pg 116 - Here Finney is 52 years old and God is giving him fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit that transforms him even more. He was being refreshed as he read through the Song of Solomon.

pg 117 - Finney repeatedly told people the inquiry rooms were only for those who were unsaved and wanted immediate salvation. When revival comes and God shows up mightily everybody wants more and wants to be prayed for. It is not surprising to me that most of the people wanted more prayer and more of God.

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for today. I ask you would continue to pour out your spirit on myself, my family, Experience life, our staff, our people, on the city of Lubbock to those who call on your name. Lord we need you, we long for you, without you our lives are futile. God pour out your love, your grace, your mercy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment