Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Mindset Other Than Our Own

Scripture for the week:
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:30,31

Tuesday reading:
John 2

key verse (s): John 2:4

observations & questions:
Jesus and his mother were on different wave lengths. One commentator says the best translation of verse 4 would be "Woman you and I are thinking in different realms, we have at the moment nothing in common."

Many times we are thinking in earthy terms and God is thinking in kingdom terms about a situation. It's almost like God allows us to come up with our best thinking and we have to realize what we are thinking is not what He is thinking in this situation.

Marys response though should be our "Whatever He says do it." That is a bottom line sort of statement. Whatever Jesus says do that because that is the wisest and smartest thing we could do.

application or concept:
Today I will understand my best is not good enough that I need to ask Him for His best today.

prayer:
Lord help me hear what you are saying to do in my life on a daily basis.

Learning Agenda:
Leadership from bloggers reading

I THOUGHT I knew everything: I thought I understood God, understood what it meant to follow Jesus; understood clearly how to lead a great church; understood spiritual leadership; understood how to be a great husband and dad.

Recently, however, I have realized this startling truth: I don't know ANYTHING I thought I knew. I don't understand God; I DON'T know how to be a great Pastor, spiritual leader, husband, or dad. I DON'T know how to lead this church in to the future he has for us. I don't know what the future holds; and I don't know what God has in store for my life or my church!

Mountain Lakers, Does that scare you? It shouldn't. It SHOULD scare you instead that at one time I THOUGHT I knew all this stuff, because I didn't know it in the first place! I just didn't KNOW that I didn't know. To me, that's when we should be scared. To me, THAT'S when we're really stupid: When we are to dumb or too prideful to ADMIT that we don't know all the stuff we think we know; to think that we can put God in a box; to think that just because God speaks to us that we can go do it in our own power.

No, I'm glad God is bringing me BACK to the point of realization that I don't know anything. NOW I need Him. NOW I can't do without Him. NOW I'm desperate to hear from Him.

Shawn Lovejoy blog

Prayer:
Lord I am reminded this morning that I really don't know anything and without you I don't have the power to accomplish anything in this life. I am thankful that with you though, life has meaning. With you Lord there is wisdom and power to be and do. Lord help me draw upon that power to be a better father, husband, son, friend and leader.

Thanks for the opportunity for another day living with you Lord. Let me seek first your kingdom today. What is your will today ? I pray for everyone coming to lifehouse this week. Remind them of how you want to spend time with them this week. Show your love to them in tangible ways God. Bring in new people who need community to grow in their faith. Keep out any influences that might break apart what you are doing in peoples lives. Create in us all a clean heart and renew in us the fullness of your spirit.

thanks today for fog. Fog is cool God.

No comments:

Post a Comment